FORUM is an informal, multilateral counterterrorism (CT) platform that focuses on identifying critical civilian CT needs, mobilizing the necessary expertise and resources to address such needs and enhance global cooperation.
FOURTH MINISTERIAL, 27 SEPTEMBER 2013
Ministers Gathered in New York Support International Cooperation on Counterterrorism Capacity-Building, Upholding the Rule of Law in the Criminal Justice Sector, and Continuing to Counter Violent Extremism
The GCTF strives to make people everywhere safe from terrorism. Foreign ministers and other senior officials of the 30 GCTF members and the United Nations met in New York on 27 September 2013 to take important steps towards this goal.
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry announced that a core group of government and non-government partners from different regions are planning to establish the Global Fund on Community Engagement and Resilience, the first-ever public-private global fund to support local, grass-roots efforts to counter violent extremism. It is anticipated that the fund will raise more than $200 million over the next 10 years to support local, anti-terrorist causes.
- The GCTF adopted two good practice documents focused on local communities, civil society, and countering violent extremism: The Good Practices on Community Engagement and Community-Oriented Policing as Tools to Counter Violent Extremism and The Ankara Memorandum on Good Practices for a Multi-Sectoral Approach to Countering Violent Extremism.
- The GCTF also adopted the Madrid Memorandum on Good Practices for Assistance to Victims of Terrorism Immediately after the Attack and in Criminal Proceedings, which sets forth a non-binding but internationally recognized set of measures states can take to assist victims of terrorist attacks.
- In support of the GCTF's strategic priorities, members announced several new initiatives and committed to bilateral and multilateral capacity-building projects that build on the $200 million of programming announced at the three previous ministerial meetings, and pledged their commitment to support the Hedayah Center as well as the establishment of the International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law by 2014.
To learn more, click on these documents.
- Co-Chairs' Summary
- Co-Chairs' Fact Sheet: About the GCTF | French | Arabic
- Co-Chairs' Fact Sheet: The Deliverables | French | Arabic
- Co-Chairs' Fact Sheet: Creating a Global Fund for Community Engagement and Resilience | French | Arabic
- Madrid Memorandum on Good Practices for Assistance to Victims of Terrorism Immediately after the Attack and in Criminal Proceedings | French | Arabic
- Ankara Memorandum on Good Practices for a Multi-Sectoral Approach to Countering Violent Extremism | French | Arabic
- Good Practices on Community Engagement and Community-Oriented Policing as Tools to Counter Violent Extremism | French | Arabic